Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Staying Alive

Having worked at this Southern institution for 1/6 of its life, I have to share this video filmmaker Joe York made to celebrate Square Books' 30th anniversary. It seems like just the other day I was getting dressed up for the 25th anniversary at the old Off Square Books location.

Square Books was my home for 6 years. My boss Lyn teased me about having a cot in my office, since it seemed I was there when she left in the evening and when she returned at 8:30 every morning. On my last day, a few of the senior employees gathered at City Grocery's bar (our official bar) to say there farewells. There, Richard Howorth and his wife Lisa presented me with a necklace upon which hung a golden key. "So you'll always have a key to the store," he said.

Enjoy Joe's work and check out more of it here.

SQUARE BOOKS 30th Anniversary Video from Joe York on Vimeo.

No comments: